Cultural Competency: Working with ethnically minoritised communities
This training session is to enable participants to connect with and deliver effective services to people across majority and minority communities. It is a learning programme with activities and discussion, a safe space to ask questions and listen to real life examples about how improved cultural knowledge has been used to break down barriers and improve services.
We currently deliver the training through zoom and sessions are 2 hour 15 minutes long with interactive exercises, videos and discussion points to take back to your organisations.
This training session will help improve
- Knowledge of local ethnically minoritised communities and cultures
- Understanding of what local ethnically minoritised communities need
- Skills to help identify some of the barriers to accessing health services
- Confidence working with different communities
- Good practice to improve access into your service
We provide a resource sheet with information to follow up and a post-session questionnaire to take the learning from the session and put it into practice. We aim to make this more than just a Zoom session and provide exercises to help people look at what changes their organisation can make.
Information and booking
- The Cultural Competency training in Newcastle is funded and approved by Newcastle City Council Public Health
- The programme is free to organisations in Newcastle with frontline staff delivering health and wellbeing services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- We deliver paid for sessions of this training for organisations outside of Newcastle, contact email@example.com for more information
“Fab training, really relevant, easy to follow, fun and interactive.”
“I was blown away by this session!! It was great to listen to other people about their experiences. We shared best practice amongst each other and I really feel confident to go out there to work with [ethnically minoritised] communities. I thoroughly enjoyed the training.”
Connected Voice delivers a range of training and events free to voluntary and community organisations - visit our training and events page to see the full programme.