The purpose of the Centre is to improve the health and wellbeing of Gateshead residents through volunteering.
Gateshead Volunteer Centre aims to:
1. Make volunteering in Gateshead easier to access
2. Focus on the people who need additional support into volunteering
3. Develop skills and provide a pathway towards employment
4. Support the people who support volunteers
5. Build understanding of the value of volunteering
The Gateshead Volunteer Centre Team are:
- Marie Wisson, Gateshead Volunteering Development Coordinator
- Kate Marshall, Gateshead Volunteering Development Officer
- Laurie Zebik, Gateshead Volunteering Development Officer
The team operates from community venues across Gateshead including:
Birtley Library, Teams Life Centre, Winlaton Community Centre, The Bank in Chopwell, and the Davidson Building (home of Citizens Advice Gateshead and Gateshead Food Bank). Please see our drop-in timetable below under 'Support into Volunteering'.
Whether you're an individual looking for support and information around volunteering or an organisation that would like to connect with people interested in volunteering, we can help.
Contact us at email@example.com for more information, or to arrange to meet.
Looking to Volunteer?
Browse dozens of opportunities advertised on the OurGateshead website.
Go to Volunteering - ways to help in your community | OurGateshead, where you can search by location or area of interest to find your perfect volunteer role. Discover more about the great range of clubs, groups, and organisations in Gateshead. A short expression of interest form on each page means that your offer of help goes to your chosen organisation quickly, so they can get in touch to discuss the opportunity with you directly.
Looking for Volunteers?
Add your opportunities to the OurGateshead website.
You can add your organisation's volunteering opportunities by creating a new account on the OurGateshead website. Log into your account at https://ourgateshead.org/user/ or, if you're not already registered, go to https://ourgateshead.org/user/register to set up an account and start posting. It's quick, easy, free, and will help you reach a wide audience online. Add as many opportunities as you like and keep them refreshed as potential volunteers will be directed to the site all the time.
If you need any help with writing a volunteer role description, or with recruitment, induction and management of volunteers, or if you have any other volunteering-related questions please contact the Gateshead Volunteer Centre Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support into Volunteering
There is a volunteering opportunity for everyone, and we can provide extra support.
Whether you're looking to volunteer yourself, or you work alongside a volunteer who is looking for a placement, we can help to find and access the right volunteering opportunity. Tailoring to individual needs, we can support by:
- Arranging a 1-2-1 meeting to look at how volunteering could benefit you and find opportunities relating to your needs.
- Helping you to complete any paperwork that may be required.
- Making personal introductions and brokering placements.
- Providing you with a named contact to offer confidential advice and guidance.
Regardless of your age, health or background, we are here to help.
Come and have a chat about volunteering at one of our drop-in sessions:
- Every Wednesday 09:30-16:00 Davidson Building, Gateshead Town Centre (from 11 October 2023)
- Wednesday 4 October 2023 10:00-12:00 Birtley Library
- Tuesday 10 October 2023 13:00-15:00 Teams Life Centre
- Thursday 19 October 2023 10:00-12:00 The Bank, Chopwell
- Thursday 9 November 2023 13:00-15:00 The Bank, Chopwell
- Monday 13 November 2023 13:00-15:00 Birtley Library
- Thursday 23 November 2023 10:00-12:00 The Bank, Chopwell
- Monday 4 December 2023 13:00-15:00 Birtley Library
- Thursday 7 December 2023 10:00-12:00 Winlaton Centre
- Tuesday 12 December 2023 10:00-12:00 Teams Life Centre
Can you offer supported volunteering?
We are always looking for organisations who understand the needs of individuals, who have knowledge and experience of both visible and invisible disabilities, and who can provide welcoming and caring opportunities for volunteers.
Gateshead Volunteer Coordinators' Network
This peer support network for those working alongside and supervising volunteers in the voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector within Gateshead.
Our free Network has over 100 members. It offers the opportunity to connect with other volunteer engagement professionals, and provides a safe space for support and advice, to encourage and promote excellence in volunteering across Gateshead.
Quarterly meetings include shared learning on volunteering trends, best practice and innovation, training, networking and guest speakers, and recognising and promoting volunteer involvement and experience.
These meetings are an opportunity to take stock, plan for the future, celebrate your own impact, and foster new connections and collaborations.
If you would like more information, to join, or would like to present to the Network - please get in touch with the Gateshead Volunteer Centre Team at email@example.com
Corporate / Group Volunteering
Connecting companies and organisations for mutual benefit.
If you are a company or organisation looking for opportunities for your staff to get involved in the community, or you are an organisation who has a specific project or seasonal task you need help with, simply let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org